Welcome to the Creative Spaces Blog Hop Week 4 – this week 16 different designers share their tips on organizing their scraps and fabric collections!
Don’t miss a week of this fun hop – or you may miss an opportunity to win something fun!! We have four fabulous sponsors: Aurifil, Bosal, Crafter’s Edge, Daylight. There will also be giveaways on different blogs – you never know what’s there, unless you give it a read!
**Hint – read down to the end of this post to see what our giveaway is – then comment to be entered – we will pick this week’s winner next week!**
Just a review – we have 16 creatives sharing their spaces, tips, and perhaps a few giveaways! (Like these:)
- Week 1: Studio Clean Up
- Week 2: Favorite Tools
- Week 3: Organizing Tips
- Week 4: Dealing with Scraps and/or Fabric – Yeah – this week!
- Week 5: Dealing with Embellishments/Buttons/Thread
- Week 6: Dealing with Tools/Rulers
This hop has been so much fun to read along with – I am getting loads of inspiration from the designers, aren’t you? All this inspiration has led me to tackle some organizing that I have been putting off.
You may know that I design many Christmas patterns – and I do love to design ornaments. When you start down the ornament path, there is no snippet of fabric that seems too small….which lead me to having many boxes of Christmas fabric snippets. During week 1 I did donate some of that fabric (thank goodness!).
My goal for organizing scraps is to spend no more than 1 hour (you can do less) at a time on it, as I will always have more to do. So let’s set the timer because when it goes off, we are done – back to it another day! That is the main point on this post – you are organizing just for you, so take your time and then go sew!
Ready, set, whoa – that’s disorganized!
- First things first – if you are like me, you may stick things in the scrap box that aren’t scraps – like Bosal foam or batting or scraps that may have fusible on them. Weed the box thoroughly!
- Group by color or collection – I came across the remains or 2 silver Jingle Pops – I kept them together. These are just piles.
- Drill down to what you want to keep. I kept the following: 1. Large Chunks (>8″ on both sides); 2. Strips 1.5″ wide or greater; 3. Small chunks (> 3″ on both sides).
- Whatever is left is to be cut into sizes above and scraps tossed.
- Remember I am making ornaments so skinny strips are fine with me – they may not be to you.
- Sort your fabrics and pop back into an appropriate container.
- When the timer goes off you can stop or continue!
My main problem is that I did not sort when going into the box…it might be better to think before it goes in the box!
Time to design something new!
Here is the schedule so that you can get hopping and get the scoop on scrap storage!
Go to Cherry Blossoms Quilting Studio to enter for the Grand Prize!
How about a giveaway? Comment below and you will be entered to win a Fold’n Stitch Ornament kit!
Thanks for hopping and see you next week for more fun Creative Spaces Organizing tips!